Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Attention Grabbers

Tonight I was pulled over for the first time in my life.  When the lights went on behind me, it took me a moment to realize what was happening.

It was raining pretty hard and I don't enjoy the freeway in the rain and the dark so I was making my way home through Gig Harbor.  And I was in tears.  I had a great day at work but alone in my car, the feelings came flooding in and the tears were flowing. 

When the officer came to my window, I couldn't stop sobbing.  I muttered some things about never being pulled over before and my dad being dead and some other random stuff.  I'm pretty sure he thought I was having a breakdown.  He took my license and registration and went back to his car for maybe three minutes, came back, told me to pay attention and take care of myself and I was on my way.  

And I just kept sobbing.  But also realized that maybe I hadn't been paying attention and this was a good wake up call.

I drove in silence in my car for a bit and then turned on the radio and flipped to a local talk radio station.  Except it wasn't talk.  It was Roger Whittaker.   ROGER WHITTAKER.  And one of my dad's favorite songs.  I thought it was a music bridge between segments but the entire song played.  When was the last time you heard Roger Whittaker on the radio?  Heck, how many of you even know who Roger Whittaker is and could instantly recognize one of his songs?  

We played a lot of Roger Whittaker at my dad's bedside when he was dying.  It took me back to my childhood... Over and over.  But it made no logical sense why that song was playing on that station tonight.  None.  

Unless it was my dad trying to get my attention.  Could my dad have been the one that got me pulled over to give me the wake up call because he knew I wasn't paying attention?  Did he arrange for the song to let me know he was there?

I don't know.

I don't know anything right now.

But I know that tonight was odd.

And it got my attention. 

And maybe that was the point.






No comments:

Post a Comment